Here are different types of RPG games that I’ve encountered:
1) Turn-based encounter games. They are games like many Final Fantasy games with different features(FF 7, 9, 10, 13[I’ve played them all]). You are on some field and then you make an encounter and you are taken to a different screen where you must take turns fighting enemies. RPG Maker software makes games like these.
2) Turn-based games where you move around and take turns on a map. These are games like Project X Zone 2, Mercenaries Saga 2, Naruto Konoha Senki, Yu Yu Hakusho Tournament Tacts, Fire Emblem series. You are on squares on a map where you must move around. It is turn based. Like Yu Yu Hakusho the attacks are performed on a screen. Like all others, you are taken to a different screen where characters perform fighting actions to each other.
3) Action RPG where you fight real time(as opposed to fighting taking turns). These are games like Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku 2, the Diablo series, Sword of Mana etc…
4) Turn-based card game RPG. It’s a game like Dragon Ball Z: The Legend of the Super Saiyan where you fight taking turns using cards.
5) Action card game RPG: Like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, you fight when you encounter enemies on the screen and are taken into a different screen. You fight real time using cards you must select quickly.
That’s all folks! There is a good chance there are more types of RPG games but I don’t recall playing other types of RPG games.